2012 Winter Nutrition Challenge
7 weeks To Better Health!
We all know that nutrition is key to our health and success in fitness and sport.
Back by popular demand, here comes our 2012 Winter Nutrition Challenge!
When does it start and end? We will start on Monday, January 16, run with it for 7 weeks and finish with the Benchmark Day and a Potluck Party on Saturday, March 3.
Are their prizes for the winners? Your health of course is the biggest prize. However, in addition to improved health and fitness the winners will get:
- The third place winner - 20% of the money pot, specially made for the challenge CrossFit Long Island City caveman t-shirt and a 15-minute session with Dr. Mike Murray, Chiropractor, Active Release Technique practitioner.
- The second place winner will get 30% of the money pot, specially made for the challenge CrossFit Long Island City caveman t-shirt, 30-minute session with Dr. Mike Murray, Chiropractor, Active Release Technique practitioner and 1 month of Free Unlimited training added to the account.
- The first place winner will get 50% of the money pot, specially made for the challenge CrossFit Long Island City caveman t-shirt, two 30-minute sessions with Dr. Mike Murray, Chiropractor, Active Release Technique practitioner and 2 months of Free Unlimited training added to the account.
How do I participate?
- Read our nutrition page. Familiarize yourself with our prescription. Check out Paleo and Zone books and articles. Get a grocery shopping list. Clean out your fridge and pantry – all sugar and grains have to go. Prepare.
- Bring $20 in cash and sign yourself into the roster page at the front desk.
- Attend nutritional talk before the challenge. Two dates:
- Thursday, January 12 at 8pm
- Saturday, January 14 at 9am (before the 10am Gymnastics Class)
If you cannot make either day email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before the challenge starts, you will be provided with the link to you personal online copy of the challenge spreadsheet. You will have to fill it out DAILY. This is a MUST. We will review your food logs WEEKLY and suggest adjustments. If you fail to fill up your log weekly, you will forfeit your candidature for the prizes.
- Email your 3 "before" pictures and at the end of the challenge 3 "after" pictures (front view, side view and back view) to email@example.com. Attire and location for both "before" the "after" pictures should be the same - shorts for the guys, and shorts and sports bra for the girls. All pictures will remain private. With your permission we may print out the pictures of the finalists to be used for voting on the winners at the final benchmark workout and potluck party at the box.
- Complete benchmark workout before January 16th.
Benchmark workout: 3 rounds for time of: 25 kettlebell swings (24/16kg) and 25 burpees.
What do I eat?
Here are the general nutritional guidelines for the challenge:
- If you are new to Paleo, start by eliminating sugar and grains. Balance your meals, so each meal (and preferably snacks) have protein, fat and carbohydrates.
- If quality nutrition is your lifestyle already and staying off sugar and grains for the duration of the challenge is not a problem, try to cut out dairy, legumes and alcohol.
- If you have been Paleo for a while, we encourage you to try Zone with the Paleo quality of foods.
How will the winner be determined?
In the end, all that matters is your improved health/fitness and good looks! (Yes, we do care about good looks after all ) That is why the winner will be determined EQUALLY by most increased performance on the benchmark workout AND most improved looks! At the final potluck party, we will do the benchmark workout again and the winners will be announced!
Do you have what it takes to win?
Let the journey to better health begin!